Re: [lro] Overbore 2.25?

From: christian147@juno.com
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 10:34:04 EST

    >torque = cylinder filling.
    not quite, torque is proportional to cylinder air trapping, how much air
    is in the cylinder when at IVC, thats not the same as filling.

    one of the great things about computer based finite amplitude wave
    simulators is that you get to really change just one thing and see what
    difference it makes in terms of torque and HP curve and pressures in
    intake, cylinder, exhaust and intake and exhaust relative mach indexes.
    From that I can say that bore to stroke ratio has little effect on the
    torque curve, but when you build real engines and change stroke you
    almost always change the stroke to rod ratio, that has a very real effect
    on torque curve because it changes peak piston velocity and where it is
    reached, that changes peak port velocity and how the valves should be
    timed.

    as for the long stroke being a low speed motor, I point to the new K24
    motors from Honda (current Accords, CR-V and Element). 2.4 L 100mm
    stroke 86mm bore, not very square, but they rev as freely as the engines
    they replaced (more so in the case of the Accord).

    Chris Hall