Re: [lro] Overbore 2.25?

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 05:05:27 EST

    You just don't drop a v8 into a Series Rover. If you
    are going to go that route, you really need to replace
    all the drivetrain but the front axle. Lots of
    modifications, fabricating, searching, head
    scratching, and BIG HEADACHE. Unless you are capable
    of quickly doing all this yourself, it will not only
    take a loooonnnng time but will cost you a fortune.

    Milling the head, doing a homemade port and polish
    job, adding a Weber, SU, or Rochester carb, putting in
    a 2.5 or ACR cam, Headers, and larger diameter exhaust
    are relatively easy in comparison to an engine swap.
    Won't give you the 'go' of a V8 but will make a
    serious difference in the performance of the truck.
    All the above is doable by an amateur and virtually no
    fabrication. Costs would be way lower than a proper
    swap of necessary components to make a reliable V8.

    Lightening the truck has a very big benefit to
    performance. I regularly do flat out hill climbing on
    the road. There is measurable difference in
    performance on the hills with as little as 200 extra
    pounds in the back. Pull 500#s out of your truck and
    it wil fly. Swapping a hardtop and substituting
    canvas is noticable.

    Aloha
    Peter O.