Re: [lro] See, it all figures...

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 16:45:40 EST

    Jean-Leon Morin wrote
    >Am I going to explode if I do this? I figure that washing it should rid it
    >of a large percentage of vapour, and whatever is left would be "popped" with
    >a match before welding it.

    I had the filler neck on my tank welded back on with a reinforcement by a
    radiator repair place. I had removed the tank and filled it with water,
    drained, and let dry for a day before taking it to the shop knowing full
    well that I was creating a rust problem.

    The guy who did the job steamed out the inside of the tank before going to
    work. I noticed that even after that he waved the torch across the opening
    as a check.

    The rust washed right out after have a dozen shakings and dumping with
    about a litre of gas in to slosh around. Even so I added a temporary
    disposable fuel filter ahead of the fuel pump until I was sure the fuel was
    clean. I think I went through three filters over the course of two tanks
    before everything ran completely clear.

    As for how safe it is I just don't know. But when I lived in various parts
    of the three northern territories it was very very common for people to
    suffer a tank leak as a result of the gravel roads. Absolutely any service
    station with a lift would weld a patch on in minutes. People were really
    blase about tank leaks and an easy topic of conversation in the north is,
    what is the best temporary gas tank repair? My personal favorite, which
    has always worked, is bubble gum. Others say soap and toilet paper or
    spruce tree gum or etc.

    I don't remember ever seeing any of these northern tank repairs involve
    removing the tank. The gas would be drained yes but I don't know what was
    done to clear the tank of fumes before lighting the match.

                                              Rick Grant
                                            1959 SII 88"
                                            VORIZO

    Calgary Alberta