[lro] Re: Lucas Washers

From: A. P. (Sandy) Grice (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 12:08:09 EST

     "Frank Elson" <frank.elson@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I can't remember the dates now but it seems as if around the end of the
    >Ser2A when windscreen washers became compulsory on new UK vehicles. Before
    >that the aftermarket folks had it all to themselves.
    > Then, a coupla years later they became compulsory on all vehicles, old 'uns
    >as well, setting off a new scramble among the aftermarket people.
    > Tudor did very well out of all this...

    My brother had a real nice late IIa 109 that had a KIGASS screen washer.
    The part that mounted on the dash was actually the push button pump, with
    small hoses for both suction and discharge. Always liked the name and it
    seemed to do a pretty good job. This relic is in the morass I call a
    garage...somewhere....

    >Another mod was to join the tube from the washer bottle to a length of thin
    >copper tubing (microbore, do you have that?) the wrap that around the
    >exhaust manifold, then more plastic tube. Voila, heated washer water for icy
    >conditions.

    Haven't seen the heated washer bit, but one ROAV chap did wrap copper
    tubing around the manifold so he could have hot water on demand for a cuppa
    anytime. While that plumbing was kinda neat, his plumbing for dual fuel
    tanks left something to be desired. One one convoy trip to ABP, he kept
    having the symptoms of running out of gas. (At o'dark thirty, your
    problem-solving skills are usually impaired....) Each time, we opened the
    tank and added some petrol...but the interval between these episodes kept
    getting shorter. Turns out he had vented one tank into the other: the fuel
    pump would pull until too much of a vacuum was created, then the engine
    would die. With half-full tanks, it would take a while to create enough of
    a vacuum to cavitate the pump, but with tanks filled to the brim, it would
    happen quickly.

    Cheers