[lro] On the subject of Washers. . .

From: A. P. (Sandy) Grice (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 12:08:10 EST

    Rick Grant <rickgrant@telus.net> wrote:

    >Subject: [lro] >Has anyone fitted an aftermarket wiper mechanism to the
    rear door of a SII?

    >My rear window collects an amazing amount of road dirt and a wiper washer
    >system would be a nice addition. The washer end of things wouldn't be too
    >hard because Canadian Tire sells generic washer systems that could be fitted.

    >But I am not too sure about the wiper motor assembly. Is there anything
    >from a junkyard/scrapheap/auto recyclers, that would do?

    If you *really* wanted to keep it original, you could use one of the
    individual Lucas wiper motors...but thse require three mounting holes.
    Much easier to get a single post wiper motor from J. C. Whitless or
    somesuch. These come in a variety of shaft lengths, but the outer threaded
    shaft can be cut and trimmed without cutting the central, driven shaft.
    I've had a series of them on my 88...they seem to last about five years
    before dying a slow death with a progressively smaller swept area.

    Cheers