[lro] Need Help! Stalled out on I-80 in rush hour this morning :P

From: Robert Palmer (rbpalmer_nrt@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 10:35:49 EST

    ..I nursed it home, but here's the full background and story (It's long, but
    should help anyone who has ideas)

    Wife's 1969 SIIA. A couple of months ago she was driving it and hit a bump
    - vehicle suddenly lost power and died. We fought this one for a while, and
    did the following:

    1. Swapped the two-barrel Weber carb with a known good one from my 109
    2. Added an electric fuel pump
    3. Added fuel filters both before and after the fuel pump.

    In the end... it was the coil of all things! Swapped the coil, vehicle
    seemed to drive fine. Had the stiff steering issue afterwords, but once it
    warmed up the problem vanished.

    So here's where we are now. I took the truck out, and after being on the
    road for about 12 miles, it started having problems. You'd hit the gas, but
    instead of accelerating, it would sputter out. Some fast pumping,
    down-shifting, and high revs would keep it going and eventually it would
    sputter back to life and you could keep going.

    This problem seems to manifest itself when accellerating. Coasting
    downhill, etc... no prob. Hit the pedal tho, andf you get the sputter and
    fail.

    The first two times this happened were around our home, all within the first
    5-7 miles. The truck was still on a half tank from when it died a couple
    months back, so I filled it up and added some carb cleaner. That seemed to
    improve things, since after that I got a good 15 miles on it without any
    issues.

    Fast forward to today. I decide it needs a good road trip so I decide to
    take it into work - a 50 mile commute on I-80 in Jersey. In rush hour.
    It's fine for the first 28 miles... all is going well, I'm hitting speeds of
    65mph and not missing a beat. Then, traffic slows down... I downshift,
    coast to a stop. Go to start back up again... and it sputters and dies. In
    the middle lane. During rush hour. Try to start the truck again... the
    starter turns rapidly, but no go. At the time that the truck failed, I had
    just under a full tank of gas. Water temp was 160 or slightly below, oil
    pressure was about 50psi (at a low idle it drops to about 25psi, but once
    driving at speed it's closer to 50)

    After about 15-20 minutes of sitting, waiting, and occassionally trying a
    start, it eventually fires up and I rev it up. I get into traffic and take
    the first exit.

    Once again traffic slows down and I slow down to a near stop. When the time
    comes to accellerate, I hit the gas and it goes flat and dies. This time I
    roll off of the road. Same problem as before - attempts to restart fail. I
    decide to just let it just sit for about 15 minutes, then try again. It
    starts right up, revs, and I quickly get onto the road and turn around and
    head back to PA.

    No events on the way home, although I notice that if I take my foot off the
    gas and go to accellerate again I get a very slight hesitation - but my
    forward momentum is keeping the truck going. I make it through the toll
    booth and get the truck home and park it in frustration.

    Any ideas?