Re: [lro] Yellow knob questions

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 17:01:48 EST

    >I purchased a new spring for my yellow knob, as my rover did not
    >have one when I purchased it. The spring, which came from British
    >Pacific, was way too long to go on the shaft, or so it seamed. So I
    >was thinking maybe the shaft broke off in the threads some where,
    >which forced the previous owner to not replace the spring. So my
    >question is how long should the threaded portion of the shaft be,
    >how long should hte spring be, and why doesn't my four wheel high
    >engage when the lever is not held up by the spring? There are
    >probably some other appropriate question hinden in this situation
    >some where, but some feed back on this componant of the four wheel
    >system would be great.

    As others have suggested, make sure you're not in 4wd already. Also,
    as I recall, the spring is compressed quite a bit, so it does look
    long. There's supposed to be a nut on the shaft under the knob. I
    had a hard time getting the thing back together once, and ended up
    pushing the spring down with a pair of vicegrips. I locked them on
    the shaft while I spun the nut on.

    David