[lro] Stiff steering question...

From: Robert Palmer (rbpalmer_nrt@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 22:27:10 EST

    Looking for some troubleshooting help on steering - so here's the background
    info :)

    The vehicle in question is my wife's SIIA 88. It had been sitting for about
    a month in a cold garage (most of the time it was below freezing) while I
    worked on an engine issue and I finally got to take it back out last week.
    When I left the garage, the steering was EXTREMELY stiff, but I got it up to
    the yard. I took it for a spin a day or two later (for maybe 2 miles) and
    again, noticed that steering was hard. Popped open the steering relay and
    the steering box and topped off the fluids (both were low), and topped off
    the swivel housing while I was at it. I run with Valvoline 75W90 for the
    steering box and relay, 85W145 for the swivel housings (also for my tranny
    and diffs)

    At this point this is where I stand..

    The vehicle steers a lot better. I have about 2"-3" of play in the steering
    wheel (measuring the outer circumference), but once it starts turning, it
    turns ok, and the vehicle stays on track (no wobblyness). The steering is
    still slightly stiff, but not nearly as bad as it was when I first pulled it
    out. The big thing is that when I release the steering wheel, the wheels
    are not tracking back to a straight position - you have to exert effort to
    straighten out the road wheels again.

    So the question is... Is this normal when a Rover's been sitting in
    freezing temps for a month? Or are there things I need to start looking at?