[lro] >Violent Steering Shake >

From: A. P. \ (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 00:00:34 EST

    Bill Lawrence <ynotink@qwest.net> wrote:

    >I vote for the panhard rod bushings. The entire front axle on coil sprung
    Rovers
    >is located laterally by the panhard rod only. Any slack in the bushings will
    >allow the axle to oscillate from side to side when the suspension's
    equilibrium
    >is upset by any type of transition in the road.

    I'll second that. Had these violent shakes happen to the Disco two or so
    years ago. Tooling down the Interstate one day, I heard something metalic
    hit the tarmac and then the underside of the vehicle. Nothing was amiss at
    first...'til I hit a big expansion joint. Violent steering wheel shimmy.
    Nothing amiss was readily apparent on a road-side inspection, and I drove
    home on surface streets at under 30 mph.

    When I got home, I realized one of the bolts securing the panhard rod had
    exited completely. (Of course, the other was installed the wrong way
    'round, so it could only be removed destructively.) New bushings and
    hardware were promptly installed....

    Cheers