Re: [lro] SIII Steering Wheel Replacement

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 10:09:51 EST

    >> Anyone replaced their stock wheel with something a bit smaller? I
    >> have D90 seats in my 109 and I can just barely fit behind the wheel.
    >> Suggestions?
    > A diet. Couldn't resist . . .

    I clenched my teeth and told myself i do not know if he is overweight
    or not and that it would be impolite. Then with great effort and
    restraint hit the delete button on the original message. Just barely
    could I resist. Then next message ...Bill you are so bad!

    Trying to be constructive here ... Defenders have the behind the seat
    bulkhead removed, as do series Carawagon conversions. You might
    consider removing, or cutting down the bulkhead and moving the seats
    rearward. The Defender seats take the same mounting location as the
    series seats and the back tilts into the space normally occupied by the
    series behind seat bulkhead.

    >> Also, I need a good, but cheap cubby box. Tuffy are nice, but high
    >> dollar.

    Mine cost me the price of some plywood, 1X1 for a frame, foam padding,
    upholstry and a section of piano hinge. Oh and I did pay to have the
    lid professionally upholstered so it would look nice. That doubled the
    price and brought the total cost to maybe $50.

    Mine is just wide enough to fit snugly between the seat bottom rails.
    The finished front height is even with the the middle of the shift
    lever in 2nd & 4th and the rear is an inch higher. Just slide the arm
    forward and my hand slides onto the shift knob. i hinged the box to
    open to the passenger side. This is less stress on the hinge and
    easier access to me. Then in a fit of plushness I added a flip down
    cup holder to the front away from the shifter.

    But of course since this is not factory it means your vehicle will be a
    hybrid and no longer a Land Rover.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
    twakeman@cruzers.com

    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    "How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
    Amelia Earhart 1898-1937