[lro] Death Wobble on a Rangie/110 type?

From: Tom Proctor (t_proctor@advantechinternational.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 10:24:33 EST

    Alan J. Richer wrote:
    > Also, is there any way to check the preload on a RR front
    > axle swivel w/o disassembling the whole damn thing?

    When I checked it on my Disco, I was doing wheel bearings and rotors, so I had
    everything apart anyway. This was at 75k miles and the preload was below spec.
    You could just pull the wheels, disconnect the rod ends and tie the calipers
    up/out of the way - saving the expensive grease ;-). From memory, I think you
    are looking for a 4-6lb. preload on the swivels w/o the swivel seal in place.
    And I think this came to approx. 12lbs. with a decent swivel seal in place.
    You might be able to leave the caliper in place. But, if you find the preload
    too low, then you'll remove waht's mentioned just to take out shims...

    Tom Proctor