Re: [lro] CD in a series IIa

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 08:20:31 EST

    --- Pam Martin <cheese@e-access.com.au> wrote:

    > I recently aquired a DIN sized cd head unit that I would
    > like to install into
    > my 1964 Series IIa SWB.

    Actually, there are a lot of ways to mount it, as many as
    there are Land-Rovers.

    Personally, I've seen them slung under the parcel shelf in
    watertight boxes (think speedboat or cabin cruiser
    install), mounted vertically alongside the steering column,
    or mounted in a box under the centre seat.

    Personally, i'm fond of the over-windshield mount. In my
    pickup, I built a self-contained unit with speakers and the
    head unit that slipped up over the windshield, sitting on
    the internal endge of the roof. It was then held in place
    with captive nuts and bolts through two of the windshield
    mounting points.

    This gave good sound and a high mounting to keep it clear
    of water in the unlikely event of a ditching...

    I wouldn't cut through the parcel shelf, were I you. That
    would put the back of the stereo right in the engine
    compartment and exposed to dust, moisture and all sorts of
    crud.

                     ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://taxes.yahoo.com/