Re: [lro] genuine Land Rover parts

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 12:29:51 EST

    The main problem with used parts is that what wears on
    one, wears on another. Went through two used water
    pumps in a couple of months before I broke down and
    bought a new one. That one has lasted. Have had
    similar problems with reusing old parts.

    If you are saying the demand will be there because
    there will always be a demand for parts, you are
    probably right. The Series trucks are kinda like the
    Model T and parts will be available to keep the old
    ones on the road for practically forever. Given the
    tax laws in a lot of places, it's a lot cheaper to
    keep an old one running than to replace it with a
    newer, taxed version. Problem is, the factory parts
    are usually easier to install, come with proper
    fasteners, slightly better fit, etc. Know there may
    be exceptions, but I've never had a problem with a
    factory part. Can't say that about all aftermarket
    parts that I've bought, however.

    Aloha
    Peter O.