Re: [lro] OT - British Registration Letters

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 01:17:14 EST

    On 3/3/03 5:50 PM, "Todd Vess" <toddvess@comcast.net> wrote:

    > He asked how we determined the year of
    > the vehicle from the letters and numbers on Colorado plates. When I
    > explained that there is no rhyme nor reason to the letters and numbers, and
    > that a vehicle gets new plates every time it changes owners, he was quite
    > perplexed. "Then how to you know the year of the car by looking at it?"

    Used to be that one could squint at the cast-in letters and numbers on the
    tail-light lenses (assuming they hadn't been cracked in an accident) and see
    the year of manufacture. In most cases, that would also be the year of
    manufacture of the vehicle. Granted, not as quick as having a big "E" as a
    reg letter. BTW< I think "W" reg are Heinz 57 vehicles or those
    reconstituted (regurgitated) from various bits and pieces, or have been
    modified beyond a certain point. Frank'll know...

    These days, tail lights seem to be very slick and fancy without any
    identifying molding numbers, or have been replaced by some aftermarket
    Taiwanese Boy-racer mirror and white-lens deals.

    --pat.