Re: [lro] OT - British Registration Letters

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 02:51:31 EST

    >But I have to say that Keith's example of Colorado takes the prize.
    >87 different styles of plate. That is truly impressive. It's a
    >wonder the state simply doesn't just allow people to make their own
    >plates. How in blazes do the Colorado State police know that
    >somebody hasn't done just that, whipped up a plate design and number
    >on their computer and Crazy Glued it in place?

    Illinois is worse. Not only do they have a bizzilion license plates
    of the normal style (20 college plates, about that many military
    plates, masons, environment, don't forget to have a mammogram, bass
    fishers, yadda yadda), they do let people design and make their own
    plates. Sort of. Special event organizers can design and sell
    plates for their events, so there are things like the "Podunk
    Founder's Day parade" license plates. The Sec. of State's office has
    to approve the design, but takes no part in their sale or production.
    (You have to have a valid set of normal plates; don't have to display
    them, just have them.) They're only valid for a couple months around
    the event, but that doesn't stop people from leaving them on. There
    are about 100 or so different types each year.