Re: [lro] OT - British Registration Letters

From: Todd Vess (toddvess@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 22:50:17 EST

    I ran into the same queary when I was shopping for my series Rover in
    England. Everything was referred to as a "W Reg" and such. When I went over
    to the UK to pick up the Rovers, I found that people are very big on the
    year of their car, so they all just know the year when looking at the plate.
    The guy who I sat next to on the plane to England had just spent two weeks
    in Breckenridge skiing with friends. He asked how we determined the year of
    the vehicle from the letters and numbers on Colorado plates. When I
    explained that there is no rhyme nor reason to the letters and numbers, and
    that a vehicle gets new plates every time it changes owners, he was quite
    perplexed. "Then how to you know the year of the car by looking at it?" he
    asked. I replied that you couldn't. He said that what year your car is in
    the UK is a big deal and that some people even put off purchasing a car
    until the next year's reg comes out, just so they can have the latest reg.
    He was also quite enthralled with the number of types of plates we have here
    such as Veteran, Firefighter, CSU Alumni etc. I mailed him the firefighter
    plates that came off my Passat so he could show his friends.

    Cheers,
    Todd Vess
    1972 SIII 109" CSW "Effie"
    1969 SIIA 109" Pick-up "Annie"
    1971 Mini "Minnie"
    1990 Range Rover
    1993 EuroVan "The Mystery Machine"

    PS: here are the regs for 1963-1983. I also have a list (on paper, not
    electronic yet) that tells where a vehicle was originally registered in
    England. If anyone knows their Landy's original license plate number, I can
    look it up, just email me.

    This table shows the year letter SUFFIXES - where the year letter is the
    LAST letter of the registration number - e.g. "TBX182S" - the letter "S".
    A 1963
    B 1964
    C 1965
    D 1966
    E 1 Jan 67 - 31 Jul 67
    F 1 Aug 67 - 31 Jul 68
    G 1 Aug 68 - 31 Jul 69
    H 1 Aug 69 - 31 Jul 70
    J 1 Aug 70 - 31 Jul 71
    K 1 Aug 71 - 31 Jul 72
    L 1 Aug 72 - 31 Jul 73
    M 1 Aug 73 - 31 Jul 74
    N 1 Aug 74 - 31 Jul 75
    P 1 Aug 75 - 31 Jul 76
    R 1 Aug 76 - 31 Jul 77
    S 1 Aug 77 - 31 Jul 78
    T 1 Aug 78 - 31 Jul 79
    V 1 Aug 79 - 31 Jul 80
    W 1 Aug 80 - 31 Jul 81
    X 1 Aug 81 - 31 Jul 82
    Y 1 Aug 82 - 31 Jul 83

    Note that the year suffixes I, O, Q, U, and Z have not been issued. This is
    because the letters I and Z are not used in the British numbering system as
    they are reserved for Northern Ireland which uses a different system, Q is
    not used in the British system ("Q" prefixes are used to show vehicles of
    indeterminable age), and O could be mistaken for the number zero. The reason
    for the omission of the "U" suffix and prefix remains a mystery!