Re: [lro] OT - British Registration Letters

From: M. T. (mmglass@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 23:03:16 EST

    Just as they say, it has to do with when a car was registered not manufactured.
    So you can have two different model year vehicles that were registered between
    Jan-Dec 66 and both would be D-reg vehicles. You could also have two 1966
    vehicles, one a D-reg and another an E. This would be true for vehicles
    registered during 1963 and up until 1966. During the E-reg period the system
    was changed. My 1966 LR is an E-reg vehicle, and that registration year only
    covered from Jan-July 1967. Prior to E, the registration period was the same as
    the calendar year. After 'E', the registration period more closely matched
    model years. So 'F' was Aug 67 - July 68, matching the period when 1968 model
    year vehicles would be registered which should have cleared up some confusion.

    Frank Elson explained it best in a few emails between Dec 2000 and May 2001. I
    can repost them if Frank can't find the info. Not sure there is any update to
    the information Frank provided before. I'll await his note on the subject.

    Cheers,
    Mike
    '66 LR 109" Hybrid Coiler SW
    '95 RRC County LWB