Re: [lro] Re problems at start up

From: Mike Rogers (MikeRogers@mattishall.org.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 11:08:17 EST

    > I have been advised to retard the timing by unscrewing
    > the vernier screw on the vacuum advance by half a turn
    > at a time until the knock on hills disappears.
    >
    > Is this correct. It seems a very long winded process.

    Before investing in my first Strobe timing light I used to do all my
    ignition timing that way, and still revert to it now from time to time (pun
    intended).

    So go ahead and retard a little at a time until the knock, or "pinking" as I
    have always called it disappears, you will then have an engine that is as
    correctly timed as possible within all the variables of worn parts.

    Mike Rogers
    Lightweight/Range Rover Hybrid
    2A TD+I
    Keeper of the UK LRO "Who's where" list
    "If you can't get there in a Land Rover, you can't get there.