RE: [lro] It is aliiiiiiive!

From: Todd Schlemmer (nullman@centurytel.net)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 01:31:24 EST

    >I wonder if it might be an earlier truck than 1954.

    no no no no The vehicle is a '51- it originally had the 1600 cc engine, but
    some enterprising soul later transplanted a '54 siamese bore 4 cyl engine.

    >I would doubt that the later (full flow) oil filter can be adapted, but
    >it depends on whether there is a flange boss cast into the block.

    The original filter has two pipes that are tapped into the block via
    compression fittings. I know this is kinda uncharted territory - I need to
    research more. Someone on the Series1 list said they have a remote filter
    adaptor with a ford filter. dunno. There were similar filters used in the
    T-series MGs that folks have adapted to modern spin-on filters. Moss Motors
    even sells a look-alike unit with a replaceable filter unit (unlike the
    original AC filter that was disconnected and tossed every 10K miles.

    >If I were you I would keep the glass settling bowl.
    I think I will. the one I have may not be salvable, tho

    >Good luck with your project.
    Thanks - I picked up another '51 today for it bee-yoo-tifull panels. It IS
    fun - SWMBO is kinda getting into it to.

    Todd Schlemmer
    Vashon Island, WA
    www.ozedeph.com