Re: [lro] Good news and bad news

From: ynotink (ynotink@qwest.net)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 01:03:03 EST

    Hmmmmm! That's a good one. It's been a long time since I was in a Landie
    tranny, but I seem to remember that the manual I read stated that the gears
    on the layshaft are supposed to be matched to the gears on the mainshaft.
    This means they were run in together in production. Mixing and matching
    gears causes noise and possibly accelerated wear. I don't know if this also
    applies to the primary gear, but that's how I'm betting.

    Did you replace any gears that were not matched as a set?

    As for using it as is, I suppose that you could try it and see if the noise
    goes away. It seems possible for the box to make quite a bit of noise
    without doing any real damage. If it gets worse you can always go back to
    square one.

    Good luck.

    Bill