Re: [lro] It is aliiiiiiive!

From: ynotink (ynotink@qwest.net)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 00:29:21 EST

    Great truck! It looks like you have quite a project on your hands.

    A few comments:

    I wonder if it might be an earlier truck than 1954. All my references
    say the 86" and 107" replaced the 80" that year. It may be it's being
    called a 54 because that was the first year it was registered. This was
    quite common for imports that didn't follow the Detroit production and
    planned obsolescence cycle.

    I would doubt that the later (full flow) oil filter can be adapted, but
    it depends on whether there is a flange boss cast into the block. If so
    the oil passages can possible be drilled out and the bolt holes tapped
    to fit the adapter. Good luck on this one.

    If I were you I would keep the glass settling bowl. It is not quite as
    effective as a particulate filter, but it is much superior as a water
    separator. Trying to run water through a modern filter will plug it
    tight. The settling bowl will provide extra capacity and a visual
    indication of water contamination in the fuel. This should be especially
    important to someone living in an area as wet and humid as you are. You
    can still put a more up to date filter in the line downstream and the
    settling bowl will protect it.

    If you do keep it though try to carry a spare glass because if you are
    as clumsy as I am you will at some point drop the original. This usually
    happens when you have the longest possible walk for help and/or your
    cell phone batteries are dead (as if anyone is going to be willing to
    come out and get you anyway).

    Good luck with your project.

    Bill lawrence