Re: [lro] Forward control question

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Sat Feb 08 2003 - 15:39:14 EST

    > > Don't sweat what isn't broken, redesign from failure.
    >
    > Words I live by.

    That's actually quite scary - Do you adopt the same strategy for brakes? ;-)

    Redesigning from failure isn't something I would be proud of in any respect,
    especially on an expedition style vehicle that may take you very far off the
    beaten path. Granted, we all resort to this type of "R&D" sometimes, but
    there's something completely boneheaded about keeping parts that are known
    to be weak and inadequate. Of course, I could keep driving my 10 spline
    axles until I accumulate a box full of small sheared off pieces of halfshaft
    and have dozens of ring gears, just to make DAMN SURE that I do really need
    to upgrade the axles so they can deal with my 36" tires. I really don't see
    the point, in my mind if I can save myself the experience of having to
    change out a halfshaft, CV, or diff on the trail (especially in winter) I
    will do so. Breakage sucks.

    J-L