Re: [lro] Forward control question

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Sat Feb 08 2003 - 13:22:25 EST

    >>> Don't sweat what isn't broken, redesign from failure.
    >> Words I live by.
    >> Every drive train and suspension modification The Green Rover has ever
    >> has is in direct response to breaking something
    >
    > I understand this. But dont follow it.
    > It's like you are saying that there is something wrong with trying to
    > design
    > to prevent failure.

    Nothing wrong with that. But the stock rig is capable right out of the
    box and a lot of people will never reach the limits of some stock LR
    capabilities. Why expand limits you will likely never exceed?

    > I have never had even 2 feet of snow up on the roof but its designed
    > to hold
    > a 4 foot load. 1/2 sheet rock is all thats required, but I used
    > 5/8ths to
    > help reduce noise and help prevent firespread.

    That is over design for someone who lives where it never snows. A
    strengthening mod is over design for someone who will never drive the
    vehicle past it's current capabilities.

    > And all 4 of us have non-Rover engines. Why..the rover one didnt
    > throw a
    > rod did it?

    No but I cracked my share of heads and wore out 3 engines from high
    milage during 20 years of driving before going to the V8.

    > My engine worked. It got me everywhere I wanted to go.

    My engines mostly worked but did not get me everywhere I tried to go.
    There were too many high altitude steep long assents where the engine
    just came to a stop in low range first part way up the climb. Not fun
    in a 109. Nor the backing down with that tiny lift gate window. plus
    on some deep sand crossings and deep high current water crossings I got
    through with zero engine power reserve. kinda scary if you are
    trailing alone.

    > Maybe a little slower and for a bit more fuel, but I got there safely.

    Well I had the option of going off road at about 45 MPH (full throttle
    on a grade) or being part of a head on collision between two 18
    wheelers, one of which was trying to pass on a narrow Montana road
    without knowing what was commin round the bend. That off road
    excursion convinced me right there and then that I needed more power
    for highway crusin if I was going to do it safely. People get real
    crazy if you slow them down a little.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
      http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    A member of the internet community since 1985.