Re: [lro] Forward control question

From: Lonn Howard (lhoward4005@charter.net)
Date: Sat Feb 08 2003 - 11:31:53 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Jean-Leon Morin"
    > Unfortunately, they will be using a rover diff which is inherently weak due
    > to its spiral bevel design.

    J-L, you're right, the Rover diff is a weaker design than the Dana 60
    (Salisbury), but is it enough to be a concern for your application? Also, is it
    enough to give up the ground clearance the Rover axle affords? The Rover axle
    has many of the characteristics of a high pinion Dana 44 and is considered as
    strong. Do you know how many front Dana 44s are happily running trails behind
    big V8s and 35 or larger meats?

    You're running a torquey 6 and want to run 9.00-16s? I'm running a torquey V8
    and 35s and have yet (two years) to have a problem with my stock front end. If
    you are running an open diff I don't think you'll have a problem with the diff.
    If you run an aftermarket carrier (ARB, Detroit) then you have even less reason
    to be concerned.

    Don't sweat what isn't broken, redesign from failure.

    Lonn