Re: [lro] continuing gearbox fun

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 17:03:08 EST

    J-L,
    Thanks for the input. My first rrover tranny stood up to 5 years and
    probably well over 70k miles w/ the 2.5l Pontiac engine. It died with
    incredible good timing, on the last afternoon I took the rover off road
    before doing the frameover. I've just had a run of bad
    luck/well-deserved parts failure since then. I don't think the engine
    puts out enough power to swamp a rover tranny.
    Only problems I've had (which have resulted in SEVERAL swaps, since I
    always have a spare tranny around): leaky (nonexistent, almost) seal
    between gearbox and bellhousing (I wrecked the layshaft bearing in an
    attempt to fix this w/ the box in situ), unexplained (uninvestigated)
    transfer case failure in VA in July, and now persistent problems caused
    by my failure to get the rear mainshaft nut tight enough on my last two
    attempts (backed it off to line it up w/ the tabs on the special washer,
    rather than modify nut or washer).

    So now I'm doing this swap just so's I won't have to for a long time, so
    I want to do it right. As for the clutch disc, I just talked to Russel
    Dushin, who lives across the Hudson from me, and he thinks he's got an
    old one, so I should be all set on that.

    As for alternate trannys, if this one has any problems any time soon, I
    will seriously, seriously consider one. I'm hesitant to undertake a
    project that involves refabbing floor panels, tranny mounts, etc. I've
    watched Keith Kreutzer in action on Roverzilla and I realize I'm not cut
    from the same cloth as Keith, and my garage is certainly not cut from the
    same cloth as Keith's. Heck, I don't even have a garage right now.
    Hence the tranny rebuild on the coffee table.