Re: [lro] continuing gearbox fun

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 00:00:22 EST

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:01:17 -0700 jimfoo <jimfoo@purplemountain.net>
    writes:

    > Most any chevy disk in the 9"ish range will have the correct
    > splines.
    > However once the pins between the shift fork rods are removed, it is
    >
    > possible to put it in 2 gears at once, which will lock everything
    > up.

    Yeah, that's what I did to undo the layshaft nut (twice in the last two
    days--duh) but it'd be HARD to do that for the mainshaft nut since you
    need to use a hammer and punch on it (it's like the rear mainshaft nut
    'cept even the manual doesn't recommend anything but a hammer and punch
    for this one) and it'd be hard to do that w/i the confines of the
    bellhousing. You pretty much need to have the shaft and bearing out of
    the bellhousing to undo this nut, at which point locking the gears won't
    do much good.

    bill, realizing that he's going to have a gearbox in his living room for
    at least two more weeks . . .