Re: [lro] continuing gearbox fun

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 15:27:40 EST

    > Well everybody,
    > As luck would have it, after putting the whole gearbox together, I got
    > that e-mail from Bill Leacock telling me that if there's more than a few
    > thou of axial play in the front mainshaft bearing, it's shot. Mine
    > probably has close to 1/8".

    Urghhh. That sucks...

    Bill, I don't have a clutch disc for you, but I assume you want the clutch
    to have something to lock the input shaft with, in order to be able to
    remove the nut.

    Might it be possible to get something with a similar spline from a clutch
    and brake relining place? They might have boxes of cores laying around.
    Before you have to resort to UPS ing scrap parts, might be worth a
    look/call. Or buy a clutch from Napa (Datsun somethingorother - what's the
    alternate application? Anyone?) and return it. Just keep it clean (and make
    sure you can return it beforehand if it's the wrong application - usually no
    problem with non-electric parts).

    Have you ever contemplated replacing the rover tranny with something that
    might stand up better to your 4 cylinder? You seem to have experienced a lot
    of tranny woes in the past few years, I don't know if it is due to using
    "recycled" parts or simply the fact that you are pumping more power through
    your tranny. You might be real happy with an SM465, or an NP435. They
    usually have a really low first, good synchros, and they are very easy to
    fit into a rover. They'll bolt up to your iron duke as well.

    I know you are thinking diesel for later on, which usually means 5 speed,
    but this would be a good alternative. An American 4 speed with an overdrive
    (Roverdrive, for example) would probably be more versatile than a rover
    LT77, as you would have a lower first, a higher overdrive, and more choice
    of gears in the middle. You can keep your rover T case, your overdrive, but
    you lose the tranny and you get the posibility of an 11" clutch. The floor
    needs to modified a bit, the tranny hump needs to be a bit wider.

    Anyways, just a thought. If you want more info, I'd be glad to answer some q
    uestions. This modification is surprisingly cheap compared to
    rebuilding/repairing a rover tranny, especially since you already have a
    nonstandard rover engine.

    J-L