Re: [lro] Tires, fuel, and other newbie questions

From: Bryan Hoult (bhoult@peoplepc.com)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 19:16:45 EST

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, "Rick Behning" wrote:

    > wondering what the implications of running the rover on
    > unleaded are?

    Converting the head for unleaded fuel use requires using
    good quality exhaust valves (oem rover = "stellite", after
    market = stainless) and hardened exhaust seats. An
    automotive machine shop can do this relatively
    easily/cheaply. What has most likely happened, in the case
    where your engine is stock, is that the exhaust valves have
    cracked and the exhaust valve seat has "fallen", or been
    miss-shapen by the the pressure of the valve closing. The
    lead in fuel helped this by cooling and lubricating the
    exhaust valve on it's way out. You can still get a product
    called "instead-o-lead" but you probably won't find leaded
    gas in North America anywhere.

    > So I could go 33"x15x9.5 but
    > I am wondering if the extra inch or so is going to greatly
    > impact the performance offroad.

    My neighbor runs these on his stock 69 88. Pretty noticable
    difference in highway speed power, but not noticable in 4lo.
     Basicly, you end up bouncing around gears more than normal
    when you're on a long steady climb (like a mountain pass),
    but off-road they'll be great. Obviously there is an effect
    on the drive ratio, but off-road the series trucks have
    plenty of low gear. He ran the tires with his stock springs
    and they lightly rubbed from time to time. He went to Rocky
    Mountain Parabolics a few years ago and the tires stay way
    clear of the truck now. I wouldn't say that the 33-9.50's
    are a clearance problem on stock springs though.

    Bryan
    62 88
    70 109