[lro] Tires, fuel, and other newbie questions

From: Rick Behning (behningr@ci.greeley.co.us)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 18:42:04 EST

    I am in the process of getting my 71' 88" IIA back on the road. I have it running and need to do some brake work to get her on the road, but....
    The PO was burning unleaded fuel, for about 10 years, and I don't think, nor does he, that there was the unleaded valves conversion done. I saw the kit in the Rovers North book and am wondering what the implications of running the rover on unleaded are? If nothing has occured, catastrofically, in the past 10 years, then is there any concern? Despite the truck originally being sold in Canada, I still believe it is meant to run on regular leaded, I can not find this any more can I?
    So, do I need to save up for a new engine or what?

    I want to put new tires on the rover too. The 7.50x16 are about 31.5" in diameter, right? I have the standard 15" rims, so I was thinking I could go with 32"x15x11.5 but I don't want all the extra width. So I could go 33"x15x9.5 but I am wondering if the extra inch or so is going to greatly impact the performance offroad. I am thinking the added diameter will help the highway characteristics, and as this is going to be my daily driver that would help. But I don't want to go off the road and be helpless. I know a new engine would aleviate a lot of my concerns, but I can not afford that at this time. I am really leaning toward the 33's because I don't want the width of the 32's and I don't think I will be happy with the 31's. Please give me some feedback.

    The 33's will require parabolic springs, but that is not such a bad thing.
    Any opinions on which springs, shocks ar ethe best, most economical?

    Thanks for your help and I am gald to become a rover owner.
    Any of you in Colorado? I am up in Greeley.

    Rick Behning
    Staff Engineer, E.I.T.
    City Of Greeley
    970.336.4145