Re: [lro] Tires, fuel, and other newbie questions

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 19:31:10 EST

    If you don't have the hardened valve seats and exhaust
    valves, you will have seat recession problems,
    someday. With the low compression of the Rover
    engine, it could take years, then again it could
    happen next week. As long as you do not run the truck
    for too long a time with burned seats and/or valves,
    it shouldn't be a problem. Loss in performance as a
    result of low compression or the need to adjust valves
    constantly are an indication that recession is
    happening. Personally, I wouldn't do an unleaded
    conversion until valve recession became evident.

    I think you have it backwards on the effects of larger
    diameter tires. Larger diameter tires mean more
    ground clearance which is absolutely essential for the
    off roading that I do. So taller is better offroad.
    Problem is finding a taller tire that is not so wide
    as to sap the overwhelming power of the 2 1/4.
    Interco may make a 34/9.50/15 but haven't heard of
    anyone else that makes a 9.5" wide tire. BFG dropped
    the size last year so doubt that you'd find any. They
    replaced it with 33/10.50/15 which is noticably wider
    though not nearly as wide as an 11.5" wide tire.
    Think Ike Goss is running BFG MT's in 33/10.50/15 and
    loves them. If you wanted to go with 16" inch rims,
    BFG also makes 255/85/16 which is approximately the
    size of the 33/10.50/15.

    Taller tires mean effectively lower gearing. If you
    live in the mountains, the 2 1/4 might not like
    pulling such a tall tire on the road. The low range
    gearing won't be greatly effected but the high range
    might. I've got a set of 33's sitting in the garage
    waiting for me to paint the rims. Will let you know
    how they handle the hilly roads around here.

    For all around driving, it's hard to beat the
    235/85/16 or 7.50/16 size.

    I'm running RM Parabolics with OME shocks on my 109
    and like them. 3 leaf rears will let me load 2,000#s+
    in the back and still not sag beyond horizontal. I've
    got TI Consoles on my 88 and like them also.

    Aloha
    Peter O.