Re: [lro] Thoughts about low budget lifting.... a series

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 13:16:51 EST

    Shall I handle this one, lads?

    Hi Bowy, I saw your post on the POR board. I've done many of the
    modifications you were discussing, my 1966 109 3 door has a spring over
    suspension, 900R16 tires, and a few other modifications.

    Contrary to the guys on the POR board said, spring overs are tough. There's
    a lot more involved than people realise, and I'd definitely recommend
    against it if you aren't a very good fabricator and have some engineering
    background to help you figure it out. They look pretty easy when you think
    about it, but it's a lot of head scratching custom fabrication.

    900X16's are big tires, and I think that they are going to tax the heck out
    of your motor, and raise your gearing. If you must run those big tires, your
    best bet will be to lower the spring mounts on the chassis a couple of
    inches, to get some lift, and fit military shackles. 1 ton rovers had this
    tire size from the factory, however, they are geared very low (via a special
    transfer case) and are extremely slow on the road. You will probably have to
    trim your bodywork a bit, which isn't too hard to do so it looks decent.

    The other thing you can do is bring your springs to a spring shop and have
    them re-arch them for a couple of inches extra. They can usually do with
    with good results. With 2"of springs and 2" from the hangers you should have
    enough room to run the big tires.

    I'd recommend against a body lift. They won't help you much for frame
    clearance and they just look wrong on a Land-Rover. By the time you factor
    in the labour involved in making all the little brackets and figuring out
    all the details, you'll be better off with the spring/mount modification.

    Anyways, good luck...

    J-L