[lro] Thoughts about low budget lifting.... a series

From: Bowy . (bowy12@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 12:45:09 EST

    Hi guys

    Yesterday my chassis broke down right in the middle after jacking it up
    under the crossmember. Ik knew my chassis wasn't is such a good shape but
    this bad.....

    So now I'am going to put a new chassis under my IIa SWB. And thinking about
    a body lift, now I'am at it. This because my mcreary superlug 9.00x16 (93 cm
    tall) tires don't fit now. (they rub the inner sides of my panels.)

    I've already got longer shackles fit and my leafsprings are ok. I think I
    can fit longer dumb iron on the front of my leafs, like a airportable 109.
    I asked a question about lifting and everything on the UK forums but there
    nobody actually knows a lot about it, I thought maybe you guys can help me
    out?
    Now Im thinking about two lifting options
    On my previous s****ki samur*i the body lift wasn't difficult but how
    difficult is this on a landie?? Anyone experience? I'am thinking of buying a
    piece of square tube and cut it in pieces and wel it on the chassis between
    the de body/bulkhead and the chassis

    O, high center of gravity isn't a problem for me. I live in Holland were
    everything is very flat and the only real difficulty we encounter is very
    deeeeeeep ruts from tractors and so in the kley.

    I was actually thinking about lifting only the body 2 inch and leaving the
    engine alone. Lowering my radiator (not a very big problem I think)
    The biggest problem is (trough my eyes) the steering part, I want to leave
    the steering relay on its place and just move the steering box up or am I
    thinking to easy of this? (for the record , mine is a LHD so no problems
    with the battery mounting).

    The reason I don't want to go for a rework on my panels. I want to keep it a
    bit original looking. I dont want to go to a SOA, I think this is a bit to
    complicated.. Ive never even seen this in Holland.

    The other solution for more tire clearance is:
    Maybe lowering the shock mountings is also posibility for me. I've already
    got longer shackles fit and my leafsprings are ok. I think I can fit longer
    dumb iron on the front of my leafs, like a airportable 109. and in the rear
    too together with dislocating my rear axle to the rear,for two inch or so,
    so it will sit in the middle for more clearance and ability to maintain
    normal propshaft length with the Salisbury. (longer nose than rover)
    The reason why Iam going through al these solutions is , I am a student (so
    no money. ) . Thats the reason not going for parabolics (yet..)

    I'l have to think about my options:
    I figured out the pro's and con's....

    - Dumb iron/spring mounts lowering
    easy?
    not very expensive
    enough lift

    - SOA
    most work
    most expensive
    more lift then I need

    - Body lift
    least work I think...
    Very cheap......
    Just enough lift

    Anybody sugestions?

    Hope one of you experts can help me out here. Or give advice!

    Sorry for my lousy typing I'am from the Netherlands.

    Greetz Bowy

    Series IIa '64 camel, fitted with: pto winch, 9.00 x 16, salisbury, cage.