Re: [lro] Rochester Questions

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 10:11:26 EST

    > I finally dug out the 30.9 mm venturi Rochester and installed it on my
    > Land
    > Rover. Seems to run OK, but I wouldn't know how it runs when moving
    > since I
    > haven't figured out how to arrange the linkage yet. The problem is
    > that the
    > Rochester needs an upward tug whereas the Zenith needed a downwards.

    I'm assuming you removed the adaptor that rotate the Zenith 90 degrees.
      The Rochester gets oriented the same was as the Solex. I suspect
    there are a number of different linkages that came for various cars.
    Adding the linkage to my Rochester was simply a matter of adding a ball
    to the arm, readjusting the final link and hooking it to the ball.
    mine opened in the proper direction of the linkage pull.

    Most carbs are set up to need a tug towards the firewall. If it was me
    I would first concentrate on the carb arm and what might be done to
    make it work with your stock linkage. Can the arm be reversed? Add an
    'L' bracket to pull from?

    > Also, when installing I kept the phenolic block because without it the
    > studs
    > are too long. I removed the circular metal insert since I reckoned the
    > protruding lip might interfere with the little hole at the base of the
    > Rochester. Is that right, or should that be kept? I am referring to
    > what looks
    > like about a one-inch length of pipe with thin lip on one end that
    > protrudes
    > over the phenolic block.

    You remove nothing from the carb bottom. I lost the phenolic block and
    replaced it with the thick fibre gasket designed for Rochesters. As I
    recall it was about a half inch thick and had internal slots for the
    hole in the base. The fibre spacer is a generic for Rochester single
    barrel carbs. I used the rebuild kit base gasket on top. I may have
    used shorter studs. It's been close to 20 years since I installed it
    so the memory is a tad hazy.

    Given up on the Zenith have you.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
    Santa Cruz, California
    twakeman@cruzers.com

    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

    "How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
    Amelia Earhart 1898-1937