Re: [lro] IIA Series Battery Configuration

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 17:53:38 EST

    > Now, no. No reason not to go with a high-capacity 12-volt
    > battery. Or do what I did when I first had my Diesel - two
    > 12-volt batteries in parallel. You wanna talk amp-hours....<grin>

    Urrghh...

    Speaking of batteries and other volt related gizmos...

    I've got two batteries. One is under the bonnet in the standard spot. The
    other is in the spare well in the rear tub. They are in parallel for mucho
    CCA, tied together by -2/0 welding cable. Between the winch, the lights, the
    stereo (two smallish amplifiers and a CD player) and the twin heater motors,
    there is quite a lot of draw.

    This is the problem. The alternator doesn't put out enough amps to keep
    everything happy if I'm not driving at speed (2500 rpms). When everything is
    on and I am idling, I can see the lights dim, and as soon as I hit the gas
    everything is happy. Trying to use the winch and the off-road lights at the
    same time causes a major voltage drop.

    So, I have to "build" a larger alternator, or boost the output of the
    current one. it is a delco 63 amp alternator from an 81 delta 88 or
    something. I've seen the 100 amp+ rebuild kits that boost the output of a
    Delco alternator. What I'm worried about is reliability. It seems that
    almost doubling the alternators' output might be a tad hard on the thing.
    I've heard that these alternators aren't as durable as the lower output
    ones. Should I be worried? I've seen Delco marine alternators rated for 130
    amps. This seems like asking for trouble as the case dimensions were
    established for around 60 amps of charging. However, I have no real
    understanding of why this would cause a problem if the diodes and regulator
    were uprated to deal with the current, which they are in the kits I have
    seen. Then again, some smaller Nippondenso alternators put out 100 amps and
    have a case size of 2/3rds that of a Delco.

    The other alternative (that would be difficult but probably unbeatable)
    would be a heavy truck alternator such as a Prestolite. They put out 160
    amps +, and over 75 amps at idle. Of course, this would mean twin belts
    (this is doable) and they take up a lot of space, but it would charge.
    However, that means an expensive piece that cannot be purchased for 50$ at
    autozone ;-)

    So,Opinions?

    thanks all...

    J-L