Re: [lro] Reply from GM

From: christian147@juno.com
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 07:21:44 EST

    Pat, I believe that the designations date back to just post war, and are
    based on Fords designations. Fords first post war pickup truck was
    called the F1, it was shortly replaced by an improved model, the F100.
    As the demand grew for heaver trucks of the same size grew the F250 ,F350
    were born, again I believe the numbers were arbitrary. The F100 was
    changed to the F150 in the 70's with little or no change to the truck,
    the GVWR was raised to get out of some regulations ( safety or emission).
     GM and Dodge names are so close that I have to believe that they just
    copied the leader in the field and under sold them. So the names are
    arbitrary and based on a new model from the 40's

    Chris Hall