Re: [lro] Reply from GM

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 21:03:52 EST

    > What, you actually expect to work with your truck?!?! You must be
    > crazy. All the dealerships know only a fool invites the early destruction
    > of their vehicle by actually working it... :-P

    Can't blame em for being smart. Delete all the heavy options from the 3/4
    ton line, so they can offer the 1 ton to all the people who want to work,
    and keep selling the pimped up diesel 3/4 tons to the soccer moms. If it
    gets to the point where you can't get a diesel in a 2wd, or you HAVE to buy
    an extended cab for some reason, I'll be very worried. It's kinda funny how
    the venerable american 1/2 ton has gotten too small for some people. I see a
    lot of 3/4 tons running around now hauling nothing more than groceries.

    I believe that the market for work trucks is slowly shifting to the F450s
    and big wheel chevy/dodges. I see more and more tow trucks, delivery vans
    and other work vehicles that are based on these chassis, with the bigger
    wheels (19.5?) and big axles. They are often seen with relatively puny rear
    dump boxes and flatbeds, the sort of thing that was seen on 1 tons before. I
    suspect that the manufacturers are slowly trying to phase out the 3/4 ton
    working pickup, and replace them with heavier duty and much more truck like
    larger chassis versions. These trucks are often on leaf springs, and the
    axles are massive, however the cabs and engines/trannies are often same as
    the regular pickups.

    The worst punishment you can put a truck through around here is a snowplow,
    for obvious reasons. I must say that if I owned a plowing company I might be
    willing to invest a few extra thousands to buy an F450, that has a leaf
    sprung front, longer lasting tires, and a much heavier chassis. It might
    actually be a good idea, however the initial investment becomes absolutely
    incredible.

    J-L