[lro] OT (sort of): Limited slip diff

From: NADdMD@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 12:23:07 EST

    Hi all,

    I have a sort of off topic question:

    Background: Just ordered a 1 ton dually 4X4 pickup (Chevy) with the diesel
    and Allison automatic transmission AND limited slip differential (for towing
    the horse trailer).

    Additional info: The old truck with 4wd and limited slip diff cracked a
    bearing cage and resulted in $$$$ repair (at 90K miles of mostly towing at
    freeway speeds and a moderate amount of dragging a trailer out of wet
    grassy/muddy fields)

    Problem: My wife was told by someone she knows that she'll be more prone to
    breaking limited slip diffs because she has 4wd (and the big engine) and
    she'd be better off just with a regular rear diff. I think she'll end up
    stuck in more fields.

    Question: Who's right? If she keeps her RPM's down, I don't see her having
    significantly higher fail rates, but then again what do I know?

    As always, all input is welcome!

    Nate