Re: [lro] OT (sort of): Limited slip diff

From: Kirk Hillman (hillman88@telus.net)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 12:38:43 EST

    Nate,
        My HD 3/4 GM 4x4 has a LSD, as did my old GM. I wouldn't say the LSD is
    substantially weaker than the open differential, but then again you have the
    Duramax to contend with. If anything is going to show weakness it'll do it
    behind that engine.
        One thing to keep in mind is that owning a LSD means more maintenance
    and long term cost. GM's design uses clutch packs and either requires a
    special lubricant for the diff or an additive to regular lube. If you don't
    do your own oil changes/maintenance be sure to let shops know what you want
    them to do.
        The failure mode for a LSD is an open diff most often. When you do have
    to rebuild it (and you will) it's not cheap. People I know have simply
    found it cheaper to buy a complete open diff rather than rebuild the LSD. I
    personally have only had one Posi diff rebuilt. Let me tell you it was
    stupidly expensive. Had I known about ARB or other options it would have
    been cheaper... my .02.

    Kirk