[lro] Series IIA Brakes Saga

From: Cheese e-access express (cheese@e-access.com.au)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 04:42:58 EST

    The brakes on my series 2A are very spongy such as that

    on the 1st push it will go to the floor but the second will feel very firm.
    Once taken off, after about 5 seconds the brakes return to the initial
    spongy push.

    I assume that this is air in the system somewhere, there are no leaks or
    loss of fluids.

    My 2A 88' has the 1 piston cylinders at the back and the dual top and bottom
    cylinders on the front two wheels, I think these must be upgraded because
    they are not what they seem in the workshop manual.

    Anyway, I have upgraded the master cylinder to a bigger version as well as
    replacing all the pads.

    Methods of bleeding the brakes I have tried include parking it up a steep
    mound and parking it facing down the hill to get the air out of the
    front/back of the master cylinder but neither have made much difference.

    Are there any tricks that I need to know in the process or is the sponginess
    just characteristic of series II brakes?

    Thanks in advance, willing to hear your experiences.
    - Ashby Martin