[lro] Hand throttle

From: Bryan Colleran (colleran@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 10:09:44 EST

    My '66 IIa (gas) 109 station wagon has a hand throttle which is mounted
    horizontally under the dash. Somewhere aIong the way, I've also acquired a
    brand new still-in -the-box hand throttle kit (part no. 90607682 for RH
    steering, 90607683 for LH steering), which I'm thinking of installing on a
    late IIa (gas) 88. The thing is, the kit is for a series III and the
    mounting looks quite differenr from the set-up on the IIa 109. The mounting
    instructions seem (to my reading of them at least) to indicate that hand
    control mechanism is to be mounted vertically on the central panel of the
    bulkhead below the heater.

    I would be interested in knowing if anyone has installed one of these series
    III hand throttle kits on a IIa and if there are any tips they could pass
    along.

    The 'one large and three small grommets' which are apparently used to block
    off the pre-drilled holes in the dash lower centre panel of a series III
    bulkhead are, of course, not present in my IIa bulkhead and I'm reluctant to
    go into exploratory drilling mode (aka the 'by guess or by god' technique),
    especially if it turns out there are other unforeseen reasons why the
    linkage won't work.

    I'm not good enough at 3-dimensional conceptualizing to assess whether all
    the assorted bits and pieces of linkage can be made to hook up without major
    re-fettling. So any guidance from one who's been down this trail before
    would be appreciated.

    Bryan Colleran