Re: [lro] preparation for a trip

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 17:48:48 EST

    >Stirling wrote:
    >
    >>--- Richard Joltes wrote:
    >>> unless someone comes up with powdered antifreeze (!)
    >>
    >>That's genius. If you could sell that, you'd be able
    >>to get one of those Rovers in the NYTimes article.
    >
    >A lot depends on the compound--not sure if you could do a normal
    >glycol-based mix in powder form (I expect not) but there must be
    >other agents that would work, even if only for temporary use.
    >Something to mull over and maybe retire on if I could get it right...
    >
    >Of course, you'd still need a supply of water to use the stuff!

    People have used various salts for anti-freeze at points in the past,
    calcium carbonate being the most common. They're all very very
    corrosive, though. Plain water is probably a better bet, really, as
    glycol stuff is easy to get. Plain water will keep most vehicles
    from overheating if they're driven conservatively, and it's not 300
    degrees. Powered gear oil, on the other hand, I'd love!

    David