Re: [lro] preparation for a trip

From: Richard Joltes (djoltes@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 15:09:36 EST

    At 10:46 11-11-02 -0800, you wrote:

    >--- TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I think you are missing a very important category:
    >> Fixings.
    >
    >Agreed. 100%. Miss Jess and Mr. C both have a flat plastic
    >compartment box containing a representative sample of grade
    >8 hardware, sheet metal screws, Lucars, barrels, spade
    >connectors, short lengths of wire, shrink tubing, cotter
    >pins and all sorts of miscellany I've fgound useful at one
    >time or another.

    Very good ideas all. Actually the current kit includes some
    shrink tubing, three sizes of cotter pins, and so forth. I'm
    adding to what's already there. I also have a fair number of
    grade 8 components (especially the all-important 1/4x24)
    left over from Smudger's rebuild so they'll go in as well.

    >As the whole bloody hit is only the size of a legal sheet
    >of paper and 2 inches thick it's not an encumbrance. It
    >fits nicely in the underseat toolkit.
    >
    >Fluids - ditto - oil, brake,90-wt, gasket goos of various
    >sorts all in adequate quantities to CYA as necessary. Spare
    >brake hose, rebuild kits for hydraulics (very small and
    >have bailed folks out more than once) and a gasket set for
    >the engine. Ask Dave Scheidt about that last one.....8*)

    Yep, have the gasket set but hadn't thought about the gasket
    goo. I'll be grabbing rebuild kits (one bloke I knew in the
    UK actually carries complete BMC and CMC units) for masters
    and Weber as well.

    All sorts of good things can be put into a kit without taking
    up piles of space. The worst offenders are the fluids, but
    unless someone comes up with powdered antifreeze (!) there's
    nought for it.

    dj
    1974 SIII Airportable, 'Smudger'