Re: LRO: Back-ass-ward 109 front brakes...

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 15:06:07 EDT

     "Tackley, John" <jtackley@dit.state.va.us> writes:
    > ...Here's a solution for that...Crown Vic master cylinder, (NAPA Pt.
    > #
    > 4739467, sold as a "Safety Stop" product, @ $35). That's what I run
    > on my 88
    > (info courtesy of Hank Rutherford)

    I know sev. folks who run these on their 88s--is its bore diameter large
    enough to work the 109 fronts? I already have the regular rover
    dual-circuit master, but if this thing costs $35 and has a big ol' bore
    front and back . . .

    > I would also recommend a good flush of the Castrol GT-LMA (alcohol
    > works)
    > and replace with Silicone fluid. Much higher boiling point...you
    > live in CO
    > mountains now, right? This will help reduce the effects of brake
    > fade on
    > long downhills.

    Sadly, the problem ain't boiling fluid. This occurs when attempting
    steep stuff in 1and 2 low. Try it, fail, stop. Not much reason for fade
    in a situation like that, I don't think. I, well Dave Gomes really, just
    re-did all my lines, but b/c I was too lazy to dissassy and rebuild my
    wheel cylinders (and too cheap to rebuild the master at $55/rebuild kit)
    I just stuck w/ LMA.

    bill