Re: LRO: RE: Frame bushings

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 14:57:52 EDT

    I'm puzzling over your description of removing the frame bushings. Your
    saying cut the small inner sleeve, that the bolt goes through. Then you can
    drive out the entire bushing, outer sleeve, the one welded to the frame by
    corrosion, by using a punch tool in the rubber. This sounds a bit too easy,
    almost blasphemous devil's work. I haven't tried an air chizel on an uncut
    outer bush but can't see how applying the tool to the rubber would have any
    effect on outer bush. It would seem the rubber would absorb the blows of
    the chizel on one hand. On the other, most of my frame bushes haven't had
    the rubber attached to the inner and/or outer sleeve so the rubber just
    falls out. Could you try and clear up my incomprehension of your method.

    I've never been able to get the outer sleeve to budge without cutting all
    the way through. This has been using hand tools, however. Tried without
    cutting using an VBFH, bush wouldn't budge and dinged the frame. Once tried
    to drive out the flange with a bush that I thought was cut all the way
    through but wasn't. Even though it had been cut 95% of the way through, a
    small section in the middle wasn't severed. Mangled the frame tube and bush
    sleeve trying to beat it out. Finally gave up and started over with the
    saw, which was made way more difficult because of the mangled condition of
    the sleeve. Had to file burrs out of the frame tube before I could get a
    new bush in.

    On my last bush removal, I used an air chizel after sawing the outer sleeve.
      The cut sleeve came out so fast I was incredulous. Can't wait, nah,
    that's being disengenuous, let's say on the next one I have to do, I'll try
    the air chizel on an uncut sleeve to see if it will drive it out. Sure
    would be a BIG bonus, if it will, as cutting the sleeve is a sweaty PITA.

    Burning out the rubber is quick, though it may be dirty. If you use the
    torch, reccomened that its done in a well ventilated area and that you don't
    sniff the fumes. Try aerosol propellants if you really want to sniff
    something stupid. Its easy to stay away from the fumes and once the rubber
    is ignited, its self perpetuating so you can stand well back.

    An impact wrench made reinstalling the sleeve a quick and easy operation
    with my make shift installation set up. Ran the nut up on the bolt drawing
    the bush in quickly. Zipped the nut right off when I had to add more
    spacers. Lost out on a bit of exercise but cut the reinstallation by at
    least a third and no bruises or blood.

    Aloha
    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, finally running.
    1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
    196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
         certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust