Re: LRO: Dealing with old cotterpins and other clutch fun

From: Keith Tanner (keith@miata.net)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 13:39:32 EDT

    >Any chance you are referring to the emergency brake linkage? If you are
    >referring to the e-brake linkage, and the lever that is mounted to the
    >inside of the frame you do not have to move it. And you can get to both
    >sides of the bolts without removing the fuel tank.

    TeriAnn's right - it is the brake linkage. Whoops. I can see both sides of
    the bolts and get wrenches on them, but the tank prevents me from
    withdrawing them and thus the lever. There's no trick or anything involved
    - the tank is butted up against the head of the bolt. It looks like it will
    be tricky to pull the tranny back with that critter sticking out, but I'll
    have a good look at it all before I start unbolting the remaining bits.

    I'm following the manual very closely - I appreciate the tips! This
    particular vehicle suffered from clutch hydraulic failure and the owner
    screwed around with it for 9 years trying to get it working. Bolts were
    rounded on the transmission brake drum, the pushrod was extended into the
    cockpit, the hard lines were mangled, etc. I can put a block of wood
    between the flywheel housing and the crossmember to support the engine.

    It's my second clutch swap. Sort of. My Miata is currently sitting in the
    garage with the tranny on the floor as I await a part, halfway through a
    clutch job.

    Keith