Re: LRO: Range Rover Inquiry

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 16:28:01 EDT

    Rich,

       GREAT stuff!  A RR Classic will give you all the things you say you are looking for.  I will try to answer each of your numbered questions in turn and offer my email address and phone number of you need more help.

    Rich Williams II wrote:

     Okay everyone, I need some help.  I need another vehicle and would like some input.

    Here’s what I want to use this additional vehicle for:

    1)      Daily driving
    2)      Dog hauling – needs air conditioning
    3)      road trips and vacations
    4)      camping and light off road use

    1) Besides lrx.com are there any other good web resources for finding rovers for sale?
    Ebay, Bear Valley Land Rovers (expensive but quality) the lists, land rover clubs...

    2) Any good web resources for finding good information on the various Range  Rover model years, etc.…?
    http://www.rangerovers.net   Should have everything you need.

    3) Are there particular model years that are substantially problematic or troublesome?  When do they become so complex that you basically need to go to the dealer for service?
    There have only been a few additions in the RR classic line that made these vehicles tougher to service.  Different transfer case in 1989 is less robust but quieter.  ABS brakes added in 1990.  Replacement parts are expensive.  And Air suspension added in 1993.  Unreliable, and you don't want to KNOW how much it costs to fix.  However, you may get lucky and find someone who wants to rid themselves of one of these cheap.  If so, buy it.  They are nice, and changing over to coils can be done for a few hundred bucks.

    4) What kind of problems specific to RRs do I want to look out for when  looking at these?
    Air suspension on post 1993 models, ABS problems in 1990 and later models, self leveling unit on all pre-1993 models ($500 or upgrade to decent springs and remove the crappy thing), seat switches, central locking in some cases, fuel pump, transfer case output housing on post 1989 models.  Most other things are similar to other LR coil sprung models.

    5) What different motor variations available?  I have seen the 3.5L and the 3.9L engines but are there others that I should seek out or stay away from?  Any pros or cons with the 3.5 of the 3.9?
    The 3.9 has better power than the 3.5.  I'd go for that one. The 4.2l of the long wheelbase can be a little more prone to bottom end failure due to increased torque on a fairly weak block.

    6) What tranny do most prefer as far as auto vs. manual?  Which one seems more durable?  How capable is the auto tranny off-road?   How are the manual trannys configured – 4 speed w/ OD or just 5 speed?
    There were no manual tranny models officially sold in the US.  The auto off-road will embarrass almost anything else.. period.

    7) What’s the real difference between the LWB and SWB models in terms of  real space?
    BIG!  At 6'0" and 240#, I can comfortably ride in the back of the LWB model with a tall person in front of me.  8" more legroom in this model.  In fact, there is almost as much rear legroom as front.  This is fabulous if you have a family.

    8) Is a RR just a RR or are there different model sub-variants besides LWB and SWB versions?
    There are a few variants, but they are really only trim level changes.  Some variants like the Hunter Edition (1991) had cloth seats and no ABS, and no Sunroof.  In most other cases the variants are just color, and a few options (my 91 County SE was only available in black and had the 8 speaker system with a Subwoofer)

    9) What else should I know before seriously looking at one to buy?
    Call me and lets talk.

    10) I have seen several on lrx.com that are listed at $5-8K with 150-200K miles on them.  At what point do these things get to be as much “trouble” as a Series truck.
    They are all as much trouble as a series truck!  All land rovers leak, all have rusting problems if you live in that climate, etc.  You'll be surprised at how similar it really is to what you are used to.

    11) What’s it usually take to make a stock RR a decent off road truck?  Are they good to go as is or do people  have to go to great lengths with various modifications.  And I am talking cost here  basically.
    Nothing.  It will keep up with your series truck off the showroom floor.. and will leave your series truck in some instances...  The best change to make is to add tires first, then a decent set of springs and shocks, and recovery points.  After that, its all the normal stuff.  Tougher axles, lift kit, lockers, winch, etc.

    Well, hopefully this won’t cause too many flame wars.  (:-]
    Why would it?

    -Perrone