LRO: Range Rover Inquiry

From: Rich Williams II (richw@nwlink.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 15:38:47 EDT

    Okay everyone, I need some help. I need another vehicle and would like some input.

    Here's what I want to use this additional vehicle for:

    1) Daily driving
    2) Dog hauling - needs air conditioning
    3) road trips and vacations
    4) camping and light off road use

    I am open to anything that makes sense. It doesn't need to be a LR (SWMBO says "NYET" to any additional Series trucks BTW) but I am curious about older Range Rovers, say pre 1995. Fell free to email me off-list, I'll put both addresses at the bottom. If those of you with RRs could chime in I would appreciate it. If anyone else has any different suggestions, I am open to those too. Ah yes, how much? Well I am in the middle of a frame off project on my 109 so I'd like to be as economical as possible but I don't want a POS that I am always struggling with either. What's reasonable here? I don't know, maybe between $5-8K.

    Here are the questions I have regarding Range Rovers.

    1) Besides lrx.com are there any other good web resources for finding rovers for sale?
    2) Any good web resources for finding good information on the various Range Rover model years, etc.?
    3) Are there particular model years that are substantially problematic or troublesome? When do they become so complex that you basically need to go to the dealer for service?
    4) What kind of problems specific to RRs do I want to look out for when looking at these?
    5) What different motor variations available? I have seen the 3.5L and the 3.9L engines but are there others that I should seek out or stay away from? Any pros or cons with the 3.5 of the 3.9?
    6) What tranny do most prefer as far as auto vs. manual? Which one seems more durable? How capable is the auto tranny off-road? How are the manual trannys configured - 4 speed w/ OD or just 5 speed?
    7) What's the real difference between the LWB and SWB models in terms of real space?
    8) Is a RR just a RR or are there different model sub-variants besides LWB and SWB versions?
    9) What else should I know before seriously looking at one to buy?
    10) I have seen several on lrx.com that are listed at $5-8K with 150-200K miles on them. At what point do these things get to be as much "trouble" as a Series truck.
    11) What's it usually take to make a stock RR a decent off road truck? Are they good to go as is or do people have to go to great lengths with various modifications. And I am talking cost here basically.

    Well, hopefully this won't cause too many flame wars. (:-] And don't be shy. If someone out there has something available feel free to let me know.

    Thanks everyone.

    Rich Williams
    Redmond, Washington
    1960 SII 109sw