LRO: Re: Trans output nut tool

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 15:43:00 EDT

    Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 06:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
    From: DaveB <rovergawd@yahoo.com>
    Subject: Re: LRO: Trans output nut tool

    >k. And my choice is to keep
    forgetting to buy the tool so I go with the manual that doesn't require
    a torque spec, unless I'm doing an overdrive in which case a I borrow
    the tool from Bill Maloney (remember him?) and keep it for 6 months.

    What's with this "special tool?" I installed a Fairey overdrive on my
    SIII back in 1973 or 4, and didn't have or need any special tools at all.
    I used a basic socket set and a wrench set to remove the rear PTO cover,
    take the nut off to remove the output gear and install the nut that holds
    on the overdrive's special input gear. I don't recall anything anywhere
    about torque settings, nor did I have any trouble removing or installing
    anything with the tools I had. One-hundred-thousand-plus trouble-free
    miles later, after I'd let the overdrive run too low on oil too many times,
    the thing broke (totally my fault). I removed the overdrive and re-installed
    the original output gear and PTO cover with the basic tools I had in my
    toolbox while lying underneath the thing in the parking lot. So I'm curious
    why all of a sudden it's become necessary to have some sort of "special
    tool" to take the back end off the transmission and install or de-install
    the output gear? It was a no-brainer in 1973; why has it become something
    different today?
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88