Re: LRO: Re: Trans output nut tool

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 10:58:11 EDT

    <SNIP>
    >Then take pliers and bend the pieces until they break out.
    >Weld or have a shop weld a large washer and nut on the other end, and
    >you now have a "special nut tool" for way less than you can buy one for.

    You are of course making the assumption that your time is worth nothing
    and your welder will weld the thing up for less than the cost of buying a
    tool and that the end pieces left can sustain 95 pounds torque without
    distorting (You just bent every other one out with a pair of pliers).

    The new tools tend to be a bit pricey because they are machined out of a
    solid cylinder of hard steel. This is done so those tiny nut locking
    tabs can repeatedly withstand 95 pounds of torque.

    I don't think it matters how one obtains the tool so long as it is legal.
     What matters is that you have something that will allow you to put 95
    foot pounds pressure on that nut to firmly keep the transmission output
    gear in place and that you have a good condition foldie down washer to
    lock the nut into place.

    A loose output gear can act like a number of expensive transmission
    problems.

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html