Re: LRO: Re: Trans output nut tool

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 16:14:38 EDT

    For an opposite experience. Truck came with a rear power take off. Truck
    would not stay in 3rd gear. As soon as you backed off the throttle it would
    pop out. Took off the Power take off and found the 'special nut' to be
    finger tight. Installed the O/D but could find nothing except some mention
    that no torque necessary on nut. So I reinstalled it finger tight. Still
    had the same problem with popping out of gear. What was really interesting
    that holding shifter in 3rd O/D on deceleration resulted in violent
    vibration. When I say violent, I mean violent, eyes out of focus, fillings
    falling out, bucking, trying to tear itself out of the truck, vibration.
    Tightened up the nut a bit and vibration was dramatically lessened though it
    would still pop out of gear. Never put a great deal of torque on the nut as
    its no fun to get at without the the special socket. Pulled transmission
    long before this list and finding out you need to torque the nut to 100 foot
    pounds. Trans will be going in the 88 so will have an opportunity to see if
    tightening the 'special nut' to proper torque cures the problem.
    BTW, Transmission only had 30,000 miles on it.

    Aloha
    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, finally up and running
    12/00.
    1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
    196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
         certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust